AMI JA NUSKHA (Home Remedies)
It is said that ‘Maanav Shareer ko tarsey Dev’. Which means that even the Devtas (Angelic Beings) yearn for the human body. The reason for this is that, while the Devtas may enjoy immense joy and pleasure, they fall short of achieving the Ultimate, which is their Union with God.
What has that got to do with yearning for the Human body, you might ask. Well, it is only in the Human form that you can make the final leap to Divinity.
Which brings me to the point that I am trying to make.
The Human body is a Temple. And as such, we ought to treat it with respect.
Our Sindhi Ancestors held the key to our health problems. They believed in Home remedies.
Only if these ‘nuskhas’ did not provide the required for relief, would they call their friendly doctor. I expect that you will do the same.
Listen to what Aarti Hundalani has to say on the subject:
AACHOO! GOD BLESS YOU! But stop before you pop that sudafed, avil, crocin or incidal. Why don't you stop by my kitchen and try this out.
A little ginger in your tea- sounds pretty cool-sorry hot, hot hot! But ah so soothing.
Really these "AMI JA DUSA" (the ‘u’ pronounced like ‘but) take You a long long easy way! But please, these are simple remedies to help you relax and feel good- but they are not definite cures-yes a little stomach cures and throat aches can be soothed-But for those raging fevers and whooping coughs you have to pay for YOUR SINS with the MY-CINS.....
Today the entire world is going natural and herbal-Back to the roots--so do take a peep into your kitchens-there are many simple remedies available there. Again, patience has not been one of our strong points; But at what cost? Our kitchens are well stocked pharmacies in their own right..
1) A little honey on that burn and look MA! no scar..
2) A few pieces of garlic swallowed with some water and that nagging cough gets choked.
3) A little camphor mixed in coconut oil and those horrible shoe bites are done for..
One could go on and on .... and write an article and that's exactly what has been done. So read on and start looking at your kitchen with a lot more respect.
So come on honey! ready for another cup of tea with some Honey....
The "nuskhas’ as Home Remedies are called in Sindhi, have been provided by the members of the ‘Group 21’.
Before we met for the meeting the members had been requested to bring with them only those recipes that had been tested and tried, and shared with them by the Amis and Bhabhis of their family.
The following is what they came up with; but before we start, let us learn a Mantra, which is very beneficial for health, when chanted: Mantra for Health
Om! Tryambakam Yajaamahe Sugandhim Pushtee Vardhanam Urvarukameva Bandhanaat Mrityor Muksheeya Ma amrutaat
Om! We worship Lord Shiva (The 3-Eyed One) who is full of fragrance and who nourishes all beings; may He liberate me from death, bestow salvation and (lead me) towards Eternity (Make me immortal) just as the ripe cucumber is severed (from the creeper) of its bondage.
For an upset stomach
2 spoons of brandy, 2 spoons of water, Few drops of lime
Uncooked milk and soda water.
For High Fever
Cotton wool soaked in brandy applied on navel
7 Tulsi leaves, 7 peppercorns, Little mishri or sugar, Boil in a little water and drink.
1) 5-7 Peppercorns, Swallow with hot water, 1st thing in the morning.
2) Juice of 2-3 drumsticks, first thing in the morning., (Gives an upset stomach initially)
3) Mustard oil, boiled with hing, garlic and rock salt, Brings relief, if applied warm. Keep part covered.
4) Massage gently oil and turmeric (Haldi)
5) Apply Ajwain for knee pain
1) Choona (Available at a paan shop), Haldi (Turmeric powder), Apply directly on sprain, Cover with cotton and bandage.
2) Haldi, Pinch of salt, Little water, Heat the above, When hot, add a few drops of oil, Apply on sprain
3) Spread ghee and haldi on a hot chappatti and apply on sprain
Cure for skin trouble for life
Bathe in first rain drops
To Tighten skin (Beauty aid)
Apply: Besan (Gram flour) mixed with Lemon juice
For Dark circles under eyes (Beauty aid)
Apply Carrot and cucumber juice on dark circles.
1)Apply your early morning saliva.
2) Talcum powder mixed with cold cream.
For Cracked feet
Apply Glycerine with Lime
For stomach ulcers
Drink cold Milk
Pomegranate juice is beneficial.
Apply camphor in coconut oil.
Cold Running water or Apply Honey or Apply Toothpaste or Apply lather of a washing bar soap.
For mild stomach-upsets
Have Saunf or whole Dhania
1) Burn out the alcohol in a 1 Tbsp of Brandy, and take as required, every few hours would be good if you do not wish to get drunk.
2) Lemon pickled ginger
3) 1 Tbsp Lemon juice added to 1Tbsp Brandy
1) Suck an Elaichi (cardammon)
2) Suck a Lime.
1) Eat over-ripe bananas
2) Swallow a Tbsp of Hurbo
1 tsp ground Methi (Fenugreek) seeds taken with curd.
For Bronchial disorders
1) Brandy and honey
2) Grind: 5 Black pepper corns, 1 inch Cinnamon stick, 5 Basil ( Tulsi leaves) and mishri (Crystalised sugar)
3) In two cups of water, boil: 5 Tulsi leaves,5 black pepper corns, dry ginger, saunf and (mishri) sugar.
4) Hot milk with turmeric powder.
For Dry Cough:
1) Fresh ginger juice in a 1 tsp of honey
2) Salt water gargle
Aphrodisiac and general remedies
1) White onion fried in pure ghee and mixed with honey acts as an aphrodisiac if taken first thing in the morning.
2) Neem leaves keeps away insects from linens
3) Water boiled and cooled overnight in a copper vessel, is generally good for the system.
4) Start on coriander juice everyday if you feel you are heading for High Blood Pressure.
5) Have pomegranate if heading for cholesterol.
Take a thin slice of potato peel, place on the part that has been affected and leave for a few hours.
1) Soak brandy in cotton and place on affected tooth.
2) Apply clove oil with cotton bud
For Mouth Blisters
Gargle with 3 parts of milk and 3 parts of water.
Dal Sabzi for the Aatman
™ is the sole property of Shakun Narain.